Adaptix is transforming radiology by bringing to market a Flat Panel X-ray source. Its patent-protected technology enables fast 3D imaging at significantly lower radiation dose that CT. The applications for 3D imaging include; industrial, security and veterinary. But most importantly it helps clinicians increase diagnostics for many conditions through the worlds clinics and hospitals, enabling 3D imaging to be cheaper, more widely available and truly portable.
- Centre for Innovation & Enterprise Woodstock Road
- OX5 1PF
- +44 1865 309619
The power of 3D X-ray imaging in healthcare in the form of Computed Tomography (CT) is widely accepted but despite the availability of CT and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MR) it is still the 2D planar X-ray that constitutes the majority of medical imaging studies worldwide.
Planar X-ray continues to be the “workhorse of radiology” because:
• Low system cost (compared to MR and CT)
• Small system footprint (compared to MR and CT)
• Quick workflow to acquire and review images (compared to all other modalities)
• Ability to visualize tissues like bone (unlike MR and Ultrasound)
• Low radiation dose (unlike CT)
• Consistency and objectivity of image acquisition (unlike Ultrasound).
Adaptix builds on the benefits of the planar X-ray in three ways:
1) Reducing the Source-Detector distance –
Adaptix uses a stationary Flat Panel, multi-emmiter array that emits many small cone beams of X-rays. This allows the source (that sends the rays) to be nearer the patient without incurring image magnification effects, or added radiation.
2) Reducing Power and Device Size
Adaptix reduces the total power required and therefore the device size. Distributing lower output across many hundreds of pixels allows for a smaller focal spot size which maintains image quality at smaller Source-Detector distances.
3) A new reconstruction approach to tomosynthesis
We allow the source point of the X-ray to be varied, increasing the number of ray paths available and eliminating the need for the source to move mechanically.