Embedded System for Developing Real-Time Applications. Technology for developing, debugging and testing embedded real-time applications
A real-time applications embedded in different types of platforms: Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS), robots. Its objective is to provide of necessary and basic functionality for analysis, scheduling and development of real-time embedded applications. It adds a real-time operating system to the application developed by the user. It can also show graphically a temporal evolution of the different tasks when they are running on the real platform.
The technology provides a Man Machine Interface (MMI) running on a PC under Linux or Windows operating system in order to interact, monitor and configure via a serial link, a real-time application embedded in the platform. It is mainly composed of two separate blocks: 1) The Man Machine Interface (MMI); 2) The operative block in charge of managing the whole functionality associated to MMI.
The operator shall load the real-time application divided into a fixed-number of tasks to the operative block by means of the MMI. Next, task characterization such as –temporal constraints, task types and used resources– and access protocol to resources, if any, must be specified.
Therefore, the main purpose of this technology is to let a real-time application be executed in an autonomous external platform governed by a specific microcontroller. Using this tool, the operator is only in charge of designing and coding its own particular application and with the help of this technology, a customized Real-Time Operating System (RTOS) will be added with the purpose to schedule correctly the whole original application in order to be compliant to temporal restrictions.
Innovations & Advantages
- Temporary reduction of the development phase.
- Cost reduction.
- Better quality and reliability of the developed real-time system.
- A real-time application to get a better throughput because the tasks do not include any additional code (library) and the monitoring is done when the routines of the operating system are executed.
- It shows graphically a temporal evolution of the different tasks when they are running on the external platform. By means of this graphic the user can see the state (run, wait, ready, idle, inside of a critical section) in which each of the tasks is in a specific instant of time.
- It adds a real-time operating system to the application developed by the user.
Current and Potential Domains of Application
Robotics, RPAS, UAV, Aircrafts, Information and Communication Technologies Industrial, Other Industrial Technologies