Impact-Resistant Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectrometer
Spectrometers analyse the interaction of light with various materials to give information about their chemical composition. UK SME Keit Ltd is developing a new generation of FTIR spectrometers that are more robust and compact than standard designs. Using a unique optical configuration with no moving parts, Keit's spectrometers are inserted directly into production reaction vessels, enabling real-time reaction monitoring and significantly reducing the need for recalibration.
A compact and rugged FTIR spectrometer based on a unique configuration of common-path interferometer that uses no moving parts. Applications include liquid-state reaction monitoring (for industries including pharmaceutical, chemical, and food & beverage) and on-site forensic analysis (for chemical and biological security).
- Resistant to mechanical shocks and vibrations. Low maintenance requirements.
- Compact with low power consumption.
- Capable of monitoring dynamic chemical processes in real time.
- A 2D image can be constructed by scanning the spectrometer over the target scene.
Innovations & Advantages
Standard FTIR designs require a moving arm (making those instruments prone to vibration) and require long fibre-optic cables that increase interference and require frequent calibration.
In contrast, Keit's new FTIR spectrometer has a unique optical design with no moving parts, making it more robust and compact than standard designs. The spectrometer can be inserted directly into production reaction vessels, thereby eliminating the need for use of fibre optic cables, enabling real-time reaction monitoring, and significantly reducing the need for recalibration.
Current and Potential Domains of Application
In-line process monitoring
- Enables companies to reduce processing costs, improve product quality, minimise waste, ensure product uniformity, and comply with regulatory requirements. Industries include; pharmaceutical, chemical, oil & gas and food & beverage.
Laboratory based R&D
- Compatible with a range of sample-interfaces, provides fast and reliable measurements, and makes infrared spectroscopy readily-available to laboratory users.
On-site forensic analysis.
- On-site analysis of chemical and biological security threats.